The area known as Tuebrook is a suburb of Liverpool and includes the listed 121 acre Victorian park known as Newsham Park to the north of West Derby Road. The park is edged by grand Victorian houses and both the park and the surrounding area have been awarded Conservation Area status.
The park contains two buildings that have been awarded Grade II listing status, the old Seamans Orphanage and Newsham House. Opposite the Seamans Orphanage there is a lake, used today by local fishermen but for a long time it was a boating lake. Newsham House dates to the late 18th Century. The land was bought by the council in 1846 and was the Judges Lodgings for those attending Crown Court until recently. The Friends of Newsham Park can tell you more http://www.projectnewshampark.org/joomla/
There is no doubt that Tuebrook is a typical inner city suburb but today the Liverpool City Council are making an effort to improve the area. There are regular bus services to Liverpool City centre, there is its market with a friendly atmosphere and a wide range of products and 2007 saw the first Tuebrook Arts and Heritage Festival.
Newsham Park will play a big role when the giants return to Liverpool to commemorate the anniversary of the outbreak of World War One as that’s where the grandmother and granddaughter will be sleeping.
On Friday 25th July they will walk from Liverpool City centre via Kensington to Sheil Road and then on to Gardner’s Drive. They are due to arrive in Newsham Park at from around 7.30-8.00pm. See the official website for more details http://www.giantspectacular.com/
Tue Brook House, located at 695 West Derby Road was built in 1615 and originally served as a farmhouse. It is currently owned by a local family. It is thought to have been originally owned by John Mercer, a yeoman farmer and during the Victorian period was the home and workshop of a Mr. Fletcher, a wheelwright. Some parts of the building contain sections of its original "wattle and daub" construction, which can be seen through glass panels. The house is reported to contain a priest hide located in the chimney breast between two of the bedrooms. Currently plans hint that the house will be open to the public soon.